To achieve sound environmental management and to meet the needs of our customers without compromising the environments we live and work in, we focus our efforts on:
- Respecting communities
- Preserving habitats
- Conserving energy
- Avoiding surplus
- Cutting out waste
- Selecting sustainable materials
Wherever appropriate, we use and encourage our designers to specify sustainable materials. These include timber with Forestry Stewardship Council certification, recycled aggregates, incinerated bottom ash aggregate (where approved), locally sourced materials and any materials produced from a recycled or reused product.
Other examples of where we have made changes include:
- Using Skype for Business to minimise the necessity for people to travel long distances to attend meetings.
- Fitting low energy lighting in our fixed offices.
- Putting more employees through the Site Environmental Awareness Training Scheme.
- Introducing a Sustainability Toolkit for our project teams.
Over the past 18 months we have been working to reduce the amount of single use plastic and waste entering our offices and sites. We have set an objective to target disposable plastic, cut it’s unnecessary use, and achieve positive, long-term behaviour change within our business.
Read more about what we have achieved here.